Friday, April 11, 2008

Power Outage

On Wednesday night we had some horrific storms roll through here.  Our power went out several times, but came back on within minutes.  Last night at about 10:00,  Jon and I were watching TV and the power went out again.  No big deal, we'll just wait for it to come back on.  Only it didn't.   And it's still out.  So, I've spent the last 18 hours without power at my house and no clue as to when it will come back on because Jon just gets a run around from the power company when he tries to call.   But you know what?  I've actually enjoyed it.  Sure, I've missed the internet, but I've been a lot more productive.  I actually made it to the gym, ran some errands that I needed to, and washed my car.  Sure, I miss the TV to entertain the kids, but Adam has had a lot of fun playing outside in the puddles when I was washing the car and being with me.  Sure, I had to take everything out of my fridge and take it to Maria and Randi's houses, but I really needed to clean out the fridge anyway.  Sure, our phone and answering machine rely on power, but I had an old corded one, and I'm not getting any calls or messages that I have to return.   Plus, since there was no air conditioning, I had to actually open the windows and it's a beautiful day.  And it was laundry day, and I can't obviously do laundry with no power.   And I think lighting candles and walking around with flashlights is kinda fun.  I'm not sure how much I'll like it if the power continues to be out indefinitely (the power company said 244,000 houses are without power!), but for now I'm enjoying it.  Just funny how that works sometimes!

No comments: